Since Jamar Clark's death at the hands of Minneapolis police officers last fall, activists blocked an interstate and international airport, built a three-week encampment outside a police precinct and continue to push for answers.
On Tuesday the ACLU and the NAACP sued Minnesota's top law enforcement agencies for the release of video footage connected to the 24-year-old's death on Nov. 15. They claim the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is violating state laws requiring public access to the footage.
"Too many people, especially those of color, are losing their lives to people charged to protect [them]," said Chuck Samuelson, director of the Minnesota chapter of the ACLU. "The public has been waiting months to find out what happened in Jamar's case. It's time."
Clark, a black man, was fatally shot in the head as he and two white officers, Dustin Schwarze and Mark Ringgenberg, struggled on the street in the 1600 block of Plymouth Avenue N. Police were called to the location on a report that Clark assaulted his girlfriend and blocked paramedics from trying to treat her.
In calling for the images to be released "as soon as possible" under state data practices laws, the suit argues that "the benefit to the public from release of the videos greatly outweighs any potential harm to the public, to the BCA and to the individuals captured in the videos." The lawsuit, filed in Ramsey County, named the BCA, its superintendent and the state Department of Public Safety as defendants.
DPS spokesman Bruce Gordon said in a statement that the BCA remains "fully committed to a fair, impartial and thorough investigation" into the circumstances of Clark's death.
"Releasing any evidence, including video, before the completed investigation and prosecutorial review is detrimental to the case," Gordon said, adding that video will be released once the case is closed.
The ACLU and NAACP, who are represented by the Maslon law firm, hope a judge will review their claim this month. Both groups were denied the videos by the BCA, which cited its active criminal investigation. The BCA previously said that none of the videos show the entire incident involving Clark's death, and that their release at this point could contaminate witness statements.