The protesters will be back at Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman's office on Friday.
There were 60 demonstrators last week, and 40 the week before. Their message for the "Freeman Friday" gatherings is the same, week after week: Skip the grand jury process and bring criminal charges against two Minneapolis police officers in connection with the November officer-involved shooting death of Jamar Clark. Grand juries, they say, never indict police officers.
It's one of the most-debated criminal investigations in Freeman's tenure as county attorney. On Tuesday, he announced that he had returned the case to the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) for more investigation. And on Monday alone, 95 people called his office, urging Freeman to charge the officers without a grand jury, said Chuck Laszewski, Freeman's spokesman.
But Freeman, citing a practice that's gone on for three decades, has previously said he would take the case to the grand jury. The procedure is used "when a police officer's use of force results in the death of a civilian," Laszewski said. When asked again earlier this week if he was still wedded to a grand jury, Freeman said he would not comment.
Activists want Freeman to forgo the secret proceedings and decide himself whether to charge the officers.
"The responsibility lies on his shoulders," Nekima Levy-Pounds, Minneapolis NAACP president, said in an interview several weeks ago. "He has to explain to the public why he did not prosecute. The public will be able to judge on the merits whether the decision was biased."
And if they're dissatisfied, she said, Freeman, who is elected, can be voted out.
"We review our procedures on a somewhat regular basis," Laszewski said, "and if the decision is made in the future not to use the grand jury in the Jamar Clark shooting, then we will certainly let you and everyone else know."