Passengers flying out of Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are not the only ones fuming over long lines at security checkpoints. The Metropolitan Airports Commission is mad, too.
The MAC's executive director and CEO, Jeff Hamiel, sent a letter Thursday to Peter Neffenger, administrator of the Transportation Security Administration, saying the situation at MSP has become untenable and implored the TSA to find ways to increase the number of screeners working the checkpoints.
"We are experiencing unacceptably long security wait times during peak periods," Hamiel wrote. "Creating the best checkpoint facilities in the nation won't solve wait time issues if there aren't enough screeners to staff available lanes."
The airport opened a new $17 million checkpoint with 10 lanes on the main terminal's north end in mid-February and closed four other checkpoints. That left the main terminal with just two checkpoints, but still with 16 lanes as it had previously. But not all of them have been used. The result is that at times passengers have been stuck in lines stretching across the terminal with waits that exceeded 40 minutes during peak periods.
The idea of consolidating checkpoints came from the TSA, which didn't want to continue staffing six entrances to the secured part of the terminal, said MAC Chairman Dan Boivin. The MAC paid for the remodeling, believing that it would make things more efficient for passengers and the airlines, he said.
But it's been the opposite. Even airlines have expressed concerns, said airport spokesman Patrick Hogan. Calls to Delta and Spirit airlines seeking comment had not been returned by Friday afternoon.
The goal is to have wait times of 12 minutes or less, Hogan said.
"This has been the biggest blow up in the community," Boivin said. "This is a problem. If they can't fix it, get the TSA out of here, and we will do our own security. This is about customer service."