An arbitrator has decided the city of Minneapolis was wrong to fire Minneapolis police officer Blayne Lehner earlier this year for using excessive force and ordered the city to rehire him, reduce his discipline to an unpaid suspension of 40 hours, and pay Lehner his lost compensation and benefits.
Lehner, an 18-year veteran, was fired in January for unspecified misconduct. The Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, the police union, appealed. Lehner is on the union's board of directors.
According to the arbitrator's recently released arbitration decision, dated Oct. 6, Chief Janeé Harteau fired Lehner over his handling of a domestic disturbance call in 2014 involving two women in south Minneapolis. The city said Lehner used excessive force in pushing one of the women to the ground, didn't report the use of force and also called the woman a derogatory name.
The woman wasn't injured.
The manager of the apartment building where the women were fighting complained to the police department, and provided copies of video from the building. Lehner was put on administrative leave last September.
According to the arbitrator's ruling, Chief Harteau wrote in her termination memo that she had "lost all confidence in Officer Lehner's ability to serve the citizens of Minneapolis due to his poor judgment and his lack of integrity."
Arbitrator Stephen Befort concluded Lehner's use of force was "on the mild side" and "not substantially inappropriate" given that the woman wasn't being cooperative.
Officials haven't yet decided when Lehner will report back to work or what job he'll be assigned to, a Minneapolis police spokeswoman said. Lehner most recently had been a patrol officer in the 5th precinct.