GARRISON, MINN. – Walleye anglers on Lake Mille Lacs this spring will face the most restrictive regulations and lowest allowable harvest in history in an effort to protect the walleye population.
And despite the restrictions, there's a chance anglers won't be allowed to keep any walleyes later in the summer.
"The odds are pretty good that sometime during open water season, it will go to catch-and-release,'' said Don Pereira, Department of Natural Resources fisheries chief.
To avoid or postpone that scenario, other restrictions aimed at reducing the walleye harvest might be tried, including extending a night fishing ban, restricting the use of leeches and nightcrawlers, or reducing the current two-fish bag limit to one fish.
"I understand these are lousy alternatives, but catch-and-release is a lousy alternative, too,'' Tom Jones, DNR treaty specialist, told about 50 citizens and members of the Mille Lacs Input Group at a heated meeting last week near Garrison. "We're caught between a rock and a hard place.''
Many in the group of resort owners, fishing guides and other local business owners received the news bitterly.
"This is devastating,'' fumed John Odle, owner of Rocky Reef Resort. "It's going to affect the whole economy. There are businesses being lost every year on this lake. Our livelihoods are in your hands.''
At the meeting held Thursday, input members handed out and took their own four-question survey, which showed overwhelming support that the percentages of fish allocated to bands are unfairly high and should be changed, that band gillnetting of spawning walleyes should be stopped, and that DNR should legally challenge tribal harvest based on conservation and health and human safety concerns.