A Carver County judge has ruled that four members of the Victoria City Council have violated the state's Open Meeting Law.
In a civil suit filed by 13 Victoria residents, Judge Janet Barke Cain found that Mayor Thomas O'Connor and Council Members James Crowley, Thomas Strigel and Lani Basa were liable for sunshine law violations.
Barke Cain ruled that the public officials failed to properly close or record meetings and e-mails in 2013 about the financing and building of Victoria's new city hall/library and public works buildings, which opened last year.
The judge also found three violations by former Council Member Joe Pavelko, who resigned last summer after moving and was not listed as a defendant.
O'Connor and Crowley each were found liable for 11 violations, and each fined $2,250; Strigel was fined $2,100 for 10 violations, and Basa was fined $1,200 for six violations.
The defendants appeared in court late last year and said city staffers should have better outlined open meeting procedure.
Former City Administrator Don Uram, who now works in Prior Lake, declined to comment on the findings, and former City Attorney Mike Norton did not return a phone call for comment.
Defense attorney George Hoff said Tuesday that he isn't yet sure whether they will appeal the ruling.