The Bad River Band of Chippewa in northern Wisconsin has called for a major oil pipeline that crosses its land to be shut down and removed by its owner, Enbridge Inc.
Although protests against new pipelines seem to be growing in the U.S. — witness the outcry over the Dakota Access Pipeline — a decision to pull out an existing pipeline is unusual. And it could prove to be a major headache for Enbridge, one of the largest North American pipeline operators.
The pipeline in question has been operating on the Bad River reservation since 1953, running from Superior, Wis., to Michigan's Upper Peninsula and eventually to Sarnia, Ontario.
Last week, the Bad River Tribal Council passed a resolution not to renew certain right-of-way easements. The band and Enbridge had been negotiating the easement renewals since their expiration in 2013.
The 645-mile Enbridge pipeline — known as Line 5 — crosses about 12 miles of the Bad River reservation, which covers more than 124,000 acres on Lake Superior's South Shore. The Bad River Band, which has 7,000 members, says fears of oil spills spurred its decision.
"As many other communities have experienced, even a minor spill could prove to be disastrous for our people," Bad River Tribal Chairman Robert Blanchard said in a news release. "We depend upon everything that the creator put here before us to live mino-bimaadiziwin, a good healthy life."
Enbridge was caught off guard by the decision, saying it was not directly contacted by the band. The band announced it to local media Thursday.
"This comes as a surprise to us certainly, and we will be taking time to review it before we take the next steps," said Brad Shamla, the Edina-based vice president of U.S. liquid pipeline operations for Enbridge, which is headquartered in Calgary, Alberta.