Ten media organizations are seeking to legally challenge the family of Jacob Wetterling over its attempt to keep private some investigative documents related to the 11-year-old's 1989 abduction and murder.
The Minnesota Newspaper Association, Minnesota Broadcasters Association and the Minnesota Coalition on Government Information are among parties challenging a lawsuit filed earlier this month by Jacob's parents, Patty and Jerry Wetterling, to prevent the release of sensitive investigative documents that include personal information about their family.
The organizations are trying to intervene in the case because of concerns about the broader impact a judge's potential ruling could have on state privacy laws. Interventions allow outside parties into a lawsuit to protect their interests.
For nearly three decades, the kidnapping of Jacob at gunpoint in October 1989 was one of Minnesota's most vexing and haunting crimes. The case went unsolved until last fall, when Danny Heinrich, now 53, confessed to killing the boy hours after abducting him as Jacob, his brother and best friend returned from a convenience store not far from the Wetterling home in St. Joseph, Minn.
Some 10,000 investigative documents containing 56,000 pages of material have been compiled over the years by Stearns County authorities and were scheduled to be released to the public June 5. At that time, Sheriff Don Gudmundson said in a written statement, "The struggle here is balancing our need to protect the privacy of victims and state law that requires the release of a closed investigative file. … I believe the law requires the release of the file."
After the Wetterlings filed their lawsuit hoping to prevent the release of some documents, Stearns County Judge Ann Carrott issued a temporary restraining order blocking their release pending resolution of the privacy concerns.
Stearns County Attorney Janelle Kendall has indicated that her office won't fight the Wetterlings' request in court.
Media lawyer Mark Anfinson said his clients believed it was important for someone to step in and make the case for public release of the files. He said the media groups aren't saying certain documents can't be kept private but argued that they shouldn't be withheld on the grounds of a constitutional right to privacy.