Grant Nichols, a member of the Columbia Heights school board, will remain in his seat after the school board voted Tuesday on whether to remove him for anti-Muslim comments that he allegedly put on social media.
Emotions ran high at a special meeting held to address the comments. Columbia Heights students, faculty members and parents voiced their concern over the comment — posted using Nichols' Facebook account on a Star Tribune story shared on Facebook — saying that Muslims are unsanitary and do not clean up after themselves.
Nichols has denied that he wrote the comment, which has since been deleted. He was not present at Tuesday's meeting.
Ted Landwehr, vice chairman of the school board, read a message from Nichols to the room. In the letter, Nichols apologized for the comment and said his phone had been hacked. He also said someone took his phone and wrote the comment.
"It was not my intention to cause damage or inconvenience," he said. "I do not agree with the comment … "
He added that the issue is a personal matter and not an issue for the district.
Four votes were required to remove Nichols from the board. Three board members voted to remove him; Landwehr voted to keep him on the board.
School board members demonstrated their opposition to Landwehr's decision. Chairman John Larkin said Landwehr's vote was a slap in the face for the district.