Gov. Mark Dayton met this week with members of Minnesota's Black Lives Matter movement, vowing to help them fight racial disparities but also raising safety concerns following last week's protest that blocked traffic to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
The DFL governor "heard from the leaders present their sense of urgency for policies, programs and funding to eliminate the serious economic disparities faced by black Minnesotans and other people of color in Minnesota," according to a statement from Dayton spokesman Linden Zakula.
The meeting happened Monday at the governor's residence in St. Paul.
"Governor Dayton also expressed his deep concern for protecting the safety of all Minnesotans, and he stressed the dangers caused by blocking access to the region's major international airport," Zakula said.
The six participants in Monday's meeting affiliated with Black Lives Matter — Anthony Newby, Kandace Montgomery, Miski Noor, Adja Gildersleeve, Michael McDowell and Pastor Danny Givens Jr. — either declined to comment for this story or did not return phone and e-mail messages.
The Dec. 23 protest started at the Mall of America in Bloomington, then moved onto light-rail trains and ended up at the airport on one of the year's busiest travel days.
Protesters briefly shut down the road to Terminal 1 at the main Hwy. 5 entrance; airport officials said that delayed some flights. Law enforcement officers arrested 13 protesters, but there were no reports of injury or property damage.
A statement from Black Lives Matter afterward said that the mall protest had been a "decoy" and that the airport was the real target.