Gov. Mark Dayton has given the order to terminate Essar Steel Minnesota's lucrative mineral leases on the Iron Range, prompting the company to file for bankruptcy protection Friday in Delaware.
The company had been told that if it did not repay $66 million in infrastructure costs to the state and also pay its overdue contractor bills that the leases would be terminated.
"The company has not done so, and has provided no reliable assurances that it will be able to do so in the foreseeable future," Dayton said in a statement. "The company has been told for the past nine months that the state would not extend those leases beyond July 1, 2016, unless it paid the full amounts it owed."
Essar, which is owned by the Mumbai, India-based Essar Global, broke ground in 2008 on what was to be a taconite pellet plant and a steel mill in Nashwauk on the Iron Range. After several delays and setbacks — some caused by an unprecedented slowdown in the industry — the project was scaled down to a taconite plant, which still is not completed.
Delays, broken promises
Much to the delight of frustrated Iron Rangers who were tired of Essar's financial woes, delays and broken promises, Dayton made good on the ultimatum he had delivered in April.
He said at the time that the company must repay the state's $66 million by July 1 or the leases would not be renewed.
Essar's bankruptcy filing was expected if the leases were terminated. That action now opens the door for another entity to take over the unfinished $1.9 billion iron ore mining project in Nashwauk, legislators said.
Tom Landwehr, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, said Essar has 20 days before the lease termination becomes official.