Disgraced former attorney Aaron Biber, imprisoned for raping a 15-year-old friend of his son, has been ordered to pay $15 million to a trust in the teen's name for acts a judge deemed "utterly intolerable to the civilized community."
Hennepin County District Judge Denise Reilly ordered Biber, 48, formerly of Shorewood, to pay $10 million in punitive damages and $5 million for assault, battery and emotional distress inflicted on the teen, leading up to and including the October 2009 assault.
Attorney Michael Schwartz, trustee for the teen, said he and other attorneys will immediately work toward collecting on the civil judgment, which concluded a lawsuit brought by the boy and his family.
"He was a prominent Twin Cities lawyer for a number of years, and we expect that he's got assets that would be available to the judgment that he owes," Schwartz said.
He noted that such damages are not dischargeable should Biber ever file bankruptcy.
Attorneys for the boy's family sued Biber in June 2010, a month before he pleaded guilty to having sex with a minor over whom he had authority. He was sentenced in October to 18 years in prison and later disbarred.
Biber responded to the suit only by invoking his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself. Reilly then issued a judgment by default earlier this month. Biber's attorney, Robert Stich, did not return a telephone call on Tuesday.
Jeff Anderson, whose St. Paul law firm represents victims of childhood sexual abuse, namely by clergy, said the $15 million award is large but in line with the crime that prompted it.