The newly bankrupt Essar Steel Minnesota named a new CEO Thursday, tapping an industry veteran to replace the controversial Madhu Vuppuluri.
Essar, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last week, named Matthew Stock as CEO effective immediately.
Stock was the managing director of a debt-ridden iron-ore mine and pellet operation in India that was owned by Stemcor Holdings Lt. Stock was let go in 2013 with several other key officials after a failed buyout bid for Stemcor.
In a statement, Essar officials said that hiring Stock, a 25-year-industry veteran, is "a major step in the company's strategy to complete its 7-million-ton per year iron-ore mine and pellet plant operation located in northern Minnesota."
The future of the unfinished $1.9 billion construction project in Nashwauk has become hotly contested. Essar insists it will finish the project. Cliffs Natural Resources has been invited by Minnesota state officials to take it over.
A week ago, Gov. Mark Dayton said Essar violated a debt repayment agreement and ordered the state not to renew Essar's mineral lease, which controls about 44 percent of the project's land. Cliffs would have right of first refusal on the leases. Essar officials insist the nonrenewal notice is "invalid."
The battle over who will ultimately finish the mine and ore pelletizing plant is likely to be decided in bankruptcy court.
Dayton has clearly sided with Cliffs, appearing on Tuesday with Cliffs CEO Lourenco Goncalves at a public meeting to discuss the issue. Cliffs currently runs Hibbing Taconite, United Taconite and Northshore Mining on Minnesota's Iron Range.