Essar Steel Minnesota has reneged on another promise to the state of Minnesota, this time failing to make a $10 million payment that was due late last week.
The company, building an Iron Range taconite operation, made a deal with Gov. Mark Dayton in December to pay back the $66 million in economic incentives it had received for its Nashwauk project because it failed to meet several of the project deadlines, even when renegotiated.
The first payment of $10 million was due on March 31.
"I have not seen it," said Jeff Walker, the Itasca County auditor and treasurer charged with receiving and turning over the payments to the state.
Minnesota state Rep. Tom Anzelc, who chairs the Legislature's Iron Range Delegation, also confirmed the company has not made the payment. Essar and Dayton administration officials declined to comment Tuesday.
Essar Steel Minnesota is owned by Essar Global, which is based in Mumbai, India. The Iron Range operation is not its only North American asset in trouble.
Essar Steel Algoma, based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, is in bankruptcy restructuring, and recently completed a bidding process required by Canadian law. The Globe and Mail in Toronto reported that more than one bidder was interested in buying Essar Algoma and US Steel Canada and combining them to make North America's fifth-largest steel producer.
Anzelc said he believes the troubled Essar Steel Minnesota also must consider bankruptcy. The other two options include the foreclosure of Essar's real estate assets and its half-completed Nashwauk facility or the turning over of the Minnesota project to new investors.