When former Faribault, Minn., nurse William Melchert-Dinkel was convicted last month of assisting in one suicide and attempting to assist in another, his attorney said the case was far from over.
Defense attorney Terry Watkins reiterated that Wednesday when Melchert-Dinkel, 52, was given a six-month jail sentence and a stayed three-year prison term in the 2005 suicide of a British man and the 2008 suicide of a Canadian teenager, both of whom he met years ago in an Internet forum.
Rice County District Judge Thomas Neuville refused a motion to defer the jail time. Watkins said it's likely that Melchert-Dinkel will have served his sentence before any higher court rules on an appeal.
"It's been 5½ years," the defense attorney said. "We're appealing on several issues and depending on what the Court of Appeals does on it, we might start this whole thing over again."
Rice County Attorney Paul Beaumaster, however, said, "As far as I'm concerned, it's the end."
The jail and stayed prison sentences are what is called for in state guidelines, Beaumaster said. Melchert-Dinkel also was barred from using the Internet, except for work purposes, he said.
Melchert-Dinkel's case has stretched on for six years, and it led to the Minnesota Supreme Court striking down part of a state law on encouraging and advising suicide that has been in the statutes for 128 years.
According to evidence, testimony and the defendant himself, Melchert-Dinkel was obsessed with suicide and sought out suicidal people online by posing as a female nurse who planned to kill herself.