The fatal New Year's Eve shooting of a Minneapolis real estate agent may have been part of a murder-for-hire scheme revolving around a dispute over a recording deal, according to new court documents.
Authorities have charged four people in connection with the widely publicized death of 28-year-old Monique Baugh, who was lured to a phony home showing in Maple Grove, kidnapped, and later found shot to death in a north Minneapolis alley.
But newly unsealed search warrants outline a complicated murder plot and allege at least eight people had varying roles in the slaying. At least one of the suspects remains on the run.
The warrants seeking phone records and other evidence also reference the FBI's involvement in the investigation. A police spokesman said Friday he could not discuss what remains an open case, while the local FBI field office said policy bars it from confirming or denying the existence of any investigation.
Police believe that Baugh's boyfriend, Jon Mitchell-Momoh, was the intended victim of the alleged plot. Less than an hour before Baugh's death, a masked gunman walked into the couple's North Side home and shot Mitchell-Momoh, 29, while the couple's young children were nearby, court records show.
Mitchell-Momoh, who survived the shooting, told detectives he believed that he was targeted either because he had been "flashing a lot of money" on his social media accounts or that people suspected him of cooperating with police, according to court filings. Investigators learned that Mitchell-Momoh had a falling out with a former friend over a record deal signing, the warrant said.
Following the shooting, homicide detectives got a tip that a paid hit had been placed on Mitchell-Momoh by the former friend-turned-rival, the court filings show. Before his involvement in this case, the rival, identified only by his initials in court papers, was the subject of a two-year police investigation of another unspecified crime. His status was not known Friday.
This week, prosecutors charged Shante Davis, 38, of Minneapolis, with being an accomplice after the fact. Cellphone records and video surveillance placed Davis — the wife of Cedric Berry, 41, and sister of Berry "Big" Davis, 40 — with the two suspects when they picked up a rental truck the day before Baugh's slaying.