From the moment they secured a warrant, dozens of FBI agents worked night and day to analyze a trove of messages that they thought might help advance their probe of Hillary Clinton's use of a private e-mail server, according to a U.S. official.
The pressure was intense. FBI Director James Comey had told legislators in late October — less than two weeks before the election — that the bureau's work had resumed, igniting a firestorm of criticism that his revelation had affected the election. The agents' work, at first, seemed endless. They had to use special software to sift through some 650,000 e-mails.
But on Sunday, just two days before the election, Comey announced that the team had news to share. After reviewing "all of the communications that were to or from Hillary Clinton while she was Secretary of State," he wrote, investigators had "not changed our conclusions."
The messages, U.S. officials familiar with the case said, were either personal or duplicative of those found earlier in the investigation.
The recommendation marked the culmination of a nightmarish 10 days for the bureau. But coming two days before the election, it also generated renewed skepticism from both political parties about the FBI's handling of the high-profile case.
Republicans said the announcement was vague and that they had unanswered questions about how investigators concluded that Clinton should face no charges in the first place. Democrats, meanwhile, said they remained concerned that Comey had told legislators so close to Election Day that the e-mail investigation was resuming, though they were heartened to see the matter ostensibly put to rest.
"In the days that come," said U.S. Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich., "we will have many questions about the handling of this investigation."
From the moment Comey announced in July that he was recommending Clinton not be charged, the bureau has been under pressure, with Comey at the center of a political firestorm.