The random crime spree by a woman and three men on Oct. 18 started out as a grab for some quick cash and credit cards.
Five hours later, two people had been killed, a man had been robbed at gunpoint on the street and a family made to plea for their lives during a home invasion.
Detectives from Minneapolis and St. Paul spent hundreds of hours working together to connect the dots on the violent rampage Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman described Tuesday as the worst he had seen during his 18 years in office.
Last week, Alvin Bell Jr., 25; Isiah Harper, 26; Michelle Koester, 42, and Albert McIntosh, 31, were charged with murder, aggravated robbery and burglary, and Freeman's office will be asking for $1 million bail for each of them.
Koester and McIntosh recently finished separate significant prison sentences for aiding a murder and burglary.
"Stay tuned," Freeman said. "There may be more charges coming."
The group was jailed in Ramsey County about a week after the death of 24-year-old Sarah Wierstad, who returned home to interrupt a burglary by the three men. On her knees, Wierstad pleaded with them, saying her 5-year-old daughter would be coming home soon. She was shot repeatedly after following the men out of her house to ask for her telephone back, charges said.
"The level of violence and complete disregard for human life is chilling," said Ramsey County Attorney John Choi.