Gov. Mark Dayton has delivered an ultimatum to Essar Steel Minnesota: If the company fails to pay its vendors immediately, he'll call the company's $66 million state loan.
Essar has until Wednesday at 5 p.m. to pay its suppliers and contractors in full for construction at a future taconite operation in Nashwauk, Dayton said in a statement on Monday. The company had previously promised to fully pay all of its Minnesota vendors by Oct. 12, Dayton said, but "those assurances were not fulfilled."
The governor's actions are unprecedented, said Tony Barrett, economics professor at the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth.
"I have never seen anything like it," Barrett said. "Obviously the state has subsidized this project … so there is a [feeling of] a little bit of betrayal or a sense of disappointment for sure. Their actions are hurting Minnesota businesses. So I can understand where the governor is coming from. This is not a happy situation."
Essar officials were not available for comment Monday, but said previously that they were working with all of its vendors to address what some contractors described as a cash flow problem.
Some contractors have pulled workers from the Nashwauk job site and furloughed staff. An estimated 200 workers are affected, said Iron Workers Local 512 representative Mike Walters.
"There have been layoffs. We have been getting phone calls here. The [vendors] have been holding on to workers for as long as they could. But some couldn't do it anymore," he said.
Walters said Dayton's ultimatum is the right move.