
Minneapolis' top cop strongly defended the conduct of her officers during the weeklong protests over the police killing of Jamar Clark, after Gov. Mark Dayton on Saturday said he would urge federal prosecutors to investigate "any matters...that may have violated the civil rights of any Minnesota citizens."
In a statement released about an hour after Dayton made his remarks, Chief Janeé Harteau claimed that she had "never seen more professionalism from police officers" and said that she "fully" supported her officers' actions.
"I've been in law enforcement for 29 years, and I've never seen more professionalism from police officers than has been displayed in Minneapolis at the 4th Precinct this week," said Harteau. "I fully support the actions of my officers. Any investigation, federal, state, or county into my officers' conduct at the 4th Precinct during this time will only confirm the strength of the work my officers did protecting both public safety and the freedom of speech."
Harteau was criticized for not being more supportive of officers by police union president Lt. Bob Kroll, during a radio interview earlier this week.
Clark, who was unarmed, was shot and killed last weekend by an officer after an apparent confrontation with paramedics who were treating his girlfriend outside a North Side apartment building. His death set off demonstrations in the mostly-black community and prompted a federal investigation. The two officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid leave.
In his strongest comments yet on the case, Dayton said Saturday that he plans to ask for a federal investigation of any civil rights violations in the police's response to the protests. The governor had previously said that a demonstration in which hundreds of angered protesters marched onto Interstate-94, blocking traffic, made him "very uncomfortable."
"I will also urge the Department of Justice lawyers and the U.S. Attorney to investigate any matters, which occurred in Minneapolis during the past week that may have violated the civil rights of any Minnesota citizens," Dayton said, adding that he will meet with representatives of Black Lives Matter Minneapolis and Neighborhoods Organizing for Change.
Critics have accused police of heavy-handed tactics, using pepper spray and batons to disperse the mostly peaceful protests that sprung up outside the department's Fourth Precinct house just hours after the shooting death of the 24-year-old Clark early Sunday. Police officials defended their response, saying that officers were attacked with stones and bottles.