Carrying signs demanding justice, several hundred people gathered Saturday afternoon in downtown Minneapolis to call for the prosecution of two police officers in last year's fatal shooting of Jamar Clark.
Those at the peaceful rally outside the Hennepin County Government Center heard from speakers and spoken-word artists, held banners and chalked messages on the wall such as "No to a police state," and "By any means necessary."
Several groups, including Black Lives Matter, the Twin Cities Coalition for Justice 4 Jamar and various labor unions, were represented among the diverse crowd. Police officers watched from nearby, but there were no arrests.
Activists have demanded that Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze, the officers who fatally wounded Clark, a 24-year-old unarmed black man, be charged with murder. A decision is expected any day from Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.
The November shooting on Minneapolis' North Side sparked weeks of demonstrations outside the city's Fourth Precinct headquarters. Police have said that Clark was shot when he reached for an officer's gun. Witnesses dispute that account, saying he was handcuffed when shot.
Freeman announced recently that he will not take the case to a grand jury, as is traditional in officer-involved shootings. Protesters called his decision a step in the right direction, but said it's not nearly enough to bring justice to the community.
Minneapolis NAACP President Nekima Levy-Pounds, activist Mel Reeves and James Clark, Jamar's adoptive father, were among those who spoke on Saturday.
Clark questioned whether police have been truthful in saying that his son reached for an officer's gun, adding that police should admit it if they've made a mistake. "What happened to him could happen to anyone," he said.