To Hannah Linderholm, it sounded like a fun October Friday night — pile into a limo with friends and go to a haunted house.
"We thought obviously, being safe, take a limo," Linderholm said.
What Linderholm didn't know was that Ansari's Limos had no permit for a limousine service and the driver that night wasn't legally qualified to drive one for business. That night in Cottage Grove, two cars smashed into the black stretch Chrysler limo after the driver backed it onto a busy highway.
Eight of the 10 limo passengers on Oct. 17 were injured, three seriously. Linderholm, 23, suffered a broken nose, fractured eye socket and bone-deep gash in her forehead.
Now the group is caught in a dispute with the insurance company for the Eagan-based limo operator over who should pay medical bills, estimated at more than $100,000 so far. The insurer has refused to pay the no-fault medical and wage loss benefits, claiming that the limo was being operated for free at the time, and wasn't on business.
The injured passengers' attorney, Paul Otten, said it was rented for $300.
The lawyers also disagree on who was at fault in the accident, which is still under investigation by the Minnesota State Patrol and the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT).
Lancer Insurance Co., the insurer for Ansari's Limos, would only say it is looking into the matter.