JERUSALEM — Israel's prime minister on Monday unveiled what he said was a "half ton" of Iranian nuclear documents collected by Israeli intelligence, claiming it proved that Iranian leaders covered up a nuclear weapons program before signing a deal with world powers in 2015.
In a speech delivered in English and relying on his trademark use of visual aids, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed the material showed that Iran cannot be trusted, and encouraged President Donald Trump to withdraw from the deal next month.
"Iran lied big time," Netanyahu declared.
In Washington, Trump said it vindicated his past criticism of the nuclear deal.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said later that the U.S. had been aware of the documents "for a while" and that he and Netanyahu discussed them during their meeting in Tel Aviv on Sunday.
Speaking with reporters while flying back to the U.S., Pompeo said that although the existence of Iran's nuclear arms program had been public knowledge for years, the documents give new detail about its scope and scale and prove Iran was lying when it claimed never to have been pursuing nuclear weapons.
"This will belie any notion that there wasn't a program," Pompeo said.
He issued a statement later saying Iran also lied to the six nations with which it negotiated the nuclear agreement.