One day after the University of Minnesota announced it would not clear Jarvis Johnson to play basketball, the star Gophers recruit remained "in shock" by a decision he was "still processing," family members told the Star Tribune on Tuesday.
On Monday, the Gophers released a statement saying they would honor the incoming freshman's scholarship and provide a role for Johnson within the program but he would not be medically cleared to compete. Johnson has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), a heart condition that led to a collapse in practice in 2010. Johnson's personal doctor cleared him to play and he starred for DeLaSalle, winning four state titles while playing with a defibrillator in his chest.
The university told Johnson and his family of its decision at a group meeting on June 8, one week before the news release, Jarvis' father Curtis Johnson said. Curtis Johnson said his son had undergone a physical and various tests at the university in the past two months but that the family was given no indication that anything was wrong.
"It seemed like it was a thumbs up for everything," Curtis Johnson said. He said nothing has changed with his son's medical situation.
University officials did not make coach Richard Pitino or deputy athletic director Beth Goetz available for comment Tuesday.
Curtis Johnson said he, Jarvis and other family members talked immediately after the meeting about not beginning Minnesota summer classes as planned to keep enrollment options open. But the father said they felt constrained by the timing and stuck to what he called a "rushed decision."
"We felt a little misguided in the way the recruitment went, and then the sudden decision last week," Curtis Johnson added. "Under the circumstances, time didn't allow us to make an educated decision even. We felt pressured by it."
Johnson, 18, already is enrolled in the university and started summer school classes Monday.