A west-central Minnesota judge has tossed out the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' highest-profile deer-poaching bust in recent memory, saying a GPS device that conservation officers attached to the suspect's pickup was illegal.
DNR officers had obtained a "tracking order" to surreptitiously attach an electronic gadget to Joshua Dwight Liebl's truck at his home in Dawson, Minn., on Oct. 8, 2014.
But that order was insufficient, District Judge Thomas Van Hon ruled Monday, saying a search warrant was needed instead.
Barring an appeal — which the DNR is considering — the head-and-shoulder mounts, or racks, of 37 dead deer that officers confiscated from Liebl, 38, along with 37 guns, an intact piebald white-tailed fawn and other wildlife, must be returned to Liebl, along with his truck.
The fawn, officers said, had been killed with a rifle, probably that fall. Only shotgun hunting is allowed in the region near Liebl's home.
On Oct. 21, 2014, using information gained from the tracking device, officers stopped Liebl and a friend in his truck and found a dead whitetail buck in the back of the vehicle.
The animal had been killed by a rifle bullet. Only archery hunting was allowed at the time. And though Liebl held a Minnesota archery license, officers said, it had been illegally purchased.
While Liebl was stopped, other officers arrived at his home with a search warrant, where they found the mounted deer and firearms. Liebl subsequently was charged with 13 criminal counts.