An investigation of Xcel Energy Inc.'s massive cost overruns during a five-year project to upgrade its oldest nuclear reactor in Monticello is placing much of the blame on the company's management for letting it happen.
Nuclear and financial experts working for Minnesota utility regulators have concluded that Xcel managers didn't understand or fully plan for the complex job of replacing major reactor components, didn't adequately oversee contractors, and misleadingly blamed the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for some of the costly delays.
The project to extend the plant's life and increase power output ballooned from an estimated $320 million in 2008 to $665 million when it was completed last year. However, the final price tag likely will rise to $748 million, including construction-in-progress financial costs.
A key question in the investigation is whether Xcel's customers or investors will pick up the cost overruns. Xcel is pushing regulators to make ratepayers pay the entire cost of the Monticello upgrade.
"The confusion, contradictory information to the NRC and start-stop process suggest management indecisiveness and strategic planning that, at best, was not adequately thought out," said Mark Crisp, a nuclear consultant hired by the state Commerce Department to review Xcel's handling of the project, in written testimony filed last week.
On Tuesday, the utility disputed the charges of mismanagement, as it did last November when the Star Tribune reported concerns about project oversight.
"We had an experienced team in place that relied on the best information available from our own internal experience and other projects," said Dave Sparby, chief executive for Xcel's Minnesota operations, in an interview.
Xcel will file a detailed reply next month to the issues raised in the investigation, Sparby said.