In one of the first criminal trials in Minnesota on decades-old allegations of sexual abuse by a priest, a Dakota County jury on Tuesday acquitted Francis Hoefgen of criminal sexual conduct.
Hoefgen, 64, is no longer a priest and lives in Columbia Heights. He had been accused of repeatedly abusing a boy who was a student at the parochial school at St. Boniface Church in Hastings between 1989 and 1992.
Jurors deliberated almost four hours before returning the not-guilty verdict on both counts of criminal sexual conduct. Both the accuser and the accused broke down sobbing.
"It's the verdict we expected based on the evidence in the case," said Michael Colich, Hoefgen's attorney.
Throughout the trial, Colich questioned the reliability of the accuser's memory and the lack of physical evidence presented.
"Simply say to yourself, where's the evidence?" Colich said in closing arguments Tuesday.
After the verdict, County Attorney James Backstrom released a statement thanking Hoefgen's accuser for coming forward.
"Proving beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred 24-26 years ago without significant corroborating physical evidence of the crime itself is always a difficult task," Backstrom said. "Without such corroborating evidence the jury must render its decision based primarily upon one person's word against that of another."