The Minnesota Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a voter challenge to a law that allowed the state Republican Party to list only President Donald Trump on GOP primary ballots.
In a case that threatened to disrupt next week's early primary voting, the justices upheld a state election law allowing state party chairs to pick who is — and isn't — included on presidential primary ballots. Early voting starts Jan. 17 for a regular primary election on March 3.
A three-page opinion signed by Chief Justice Lorie Gildea found only that a petition seeking to add the name of perennial candidate Roque "Rocky" De La Fuente lacks legal merit. The decision was rendered hours after oral arguments in the case, reflecting the need for state election officials to prepare and distribute ballots by the end of next week.
The law had been challenged by James Martin, a Minnesota voter from Lake Elmo, and De La Fuente, a California businessman and long-shot candidate seeking the 2020 Republican nomination for president.
"We're challenging basically a process that's made a mockery of democracy," said Minneapolis attorney Erick Kaardal, representing Martin and De La Fuente. "It's very sad that we're going to spend $12 million [in] March on the presidential primary and they're going to have only one candidate on the GOP primary ballot."
Martin and De La Fuente took legal action in October after the Minnesota GOP submitted a ballot to state election officials listing only Trump on party ballots.
Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon had sought an expedited decision on the challenge in order to prepare the ballots, but the high court denied an earlier hearing last month. Simon had said an overhaul of the ballots could cost "many thousands of dollars" to cover the cost of reprinting paper ballots and reprogramming automated voting systems that count ballots and help voters with disabilities.
Thursday's decision, however, let stand the ballots submitted by the GOP and DFL parties.