During Katie Daly's nine-month relationship with a boyfriend, the two exchanged intimate photos of each other.
After they broke up, she said she was horrified when he threatened to distribute the pictures online unless she slept with him.
"He had clearly tried to use it against me," she said Thursday. "He was trying to manipulate the situation in his favor thinking that I would then consent to whatever he wanted."
Daly shared her story to a legislative work group that has spent a year crafting a new law that they hope will end what is called "revenge porn," when people publish or threaten to publish sexually explicit photos, videos or audio recordings of partners without their consent.
The goal is to ensure that people like Daly's ex-boyfriend could be prosecuted.
"The massive proliferation of images, videos and photos in recent years has made this a problem that needs to be addressed," said Rep. John Lesch, DFL-St. Paul. "We need to get this addressed soon otherwise there's going to be a lot of people who end up losing jobs or reputation."
The push comes after the Minnesota Court of Appeals struck down the state's criminal defamation law last year, which had been used to prosecute an alleged "revenge porn" case in Isanti County.
The proposed legislation would punish the unauthorized distribution of private sexual images as a gross misdemeanor and as a felony under more extreme circumstances.