Minnesota's bid for a Major League Soccer franchise reaches a critical juncture Wednesday, when the local ownership group is expected to ask the league to extend a deadline to show progress on its plans for a stadium in downtown Minneapolis.
MLS officials were mum Tuesday on what the league would do now that its July 1 deadline for stadium progress had arrived, or how the league would define progress.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber has virtually ruled out alternate sites — both Brooklyn Park and St. Paul recently had expressed varying levels of interest — by maintaining that the league was sticking to the expansion agreement of building a soccer-only downtown stadium.
"We really want to have a team in Minnesota, but they have to play in a downtown stadium because that's the deal we cut," Garber told reporters last week at a news conference in New York.
An MLS spokesman said the league would elaborate on its issues in Minnesota on Wednesday.
The impasse contrasted with the enthusiasm that was on display in late March when Garber came to Minneapolis to award the franchise and shared the stage with Bill McGuire, the former UnitedHealth Group chief executive who is heading the local investor group. McGuire's group includes the Pohlad family, the owners of the Twins, and Glen Taylor, the owner of the Timberwolves.
A spokesman for McGuire, who owns Minnesota United FC, an existing lower-level soccer team, did not respond Tuesday to requests for comment.
Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune, declined to elaborate on comments he made this week to Minnesota Public Radio saying that the investors likely would ask MLS for an extension past the July 1 deadline.