Minneapolis is on the cusp of getting its third major condo project since the recession.
Developer Bob Lux said Tuesday that he will build a 40-story tower with 207 condominiums in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood just across the river from downtown Minneapolis.
The decision comes after months of speculation about whether Lux would build apartments or condos on the site at 200 Central Av., now the location for a Washburn-McReavy funeral home.
"We recognize that condominium homes are more difficult to construct and that the site would accommodate apartments nicely," Lux said. "But city leaders and neighborhood groups have helped us recognize that this site presents a great opportunity to respond to the area's need for quality for-sale housing and to take a step toward achieving the city's long-term population goals."
New renderings displayed at the Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association meeting Tuesday night show a sleek glass and concrete tower with recessed balconies sitting atop a broader podium base that would house a new restaurant to be developed and operated by Ryan Burnet.
Those renderings come several months after Lux, founder of Alatus, announced plans to acquire the site and build a residential tower. If approved, the project would be only the third major condo project to be built in the city since the 2008 recession. Stonebridge Lofts, in the Mill District was the first, opening in 2014. Early last year, Jim Stanton of Shamrock Development broke ground on the second: Portland Tower at S. 8th Street and Portland Avenue in downtown Minneapolis.
Agents say there's deep demand from buyers ranging from young professionals to empty nesters.
"That northeast area is primed for some new condos," said Luke Kleckner, a sales agent who is marketing Portland Tower. "And that Washburn-McReavy site is ideal, but as always, the success will depend not just on outstanding location, but the combination of quality, price, amenities, delivery and parking."