The conspirators included the supervisor of a TCF Bank branch in Crystal, a teller at a Central Bank branch in Coon Rapids, a door-to-door meat salesman, and three men who used portable machines to crank out about 1,500 counterfeit checks.
Together with 25 others, they conducted a massive bank fraud operation that stole or attempted to steal more than $2 million from numerous check-cashing offices and 49 banks and credit unions in Minnesota and at least five other states.
"Today, we have taken down the largest, most sophisticated ID theft organization in Minnesota," U.S. Attorney Andy Luger announced Tuesday.
The branch supervisor and the teller were sisters who supplied detailed check information to the criminal enterprise, along with the balance in checking accounts so the counterfeiters would know that their checks would clear. The two women no longer work for the banks, officials with TCF and Central Bank said.
The indictment named 25 people and three others were separately charged with related crimes. Arrests were made Tuesday in Minnesota, Oregon, Florida and North Dakota.
Luger called it a developing trend that local law enforcement is seeing: "Petty thieves, who normally engage in burglaries and stolen checks, have teamed up with more sophisticated former drug dealers and money launderers."
The U.S. attorney's office said the operation was led by Sienemah Gaye, 30, of Anoka, who was charged with 20 counts of bank fraud, one count of conspiracy and two counts of aggravated identity theft, and Finoh Sahr Fillie, 28, of Brooklyn Park, who was charged with five counts of bank fraud, and one count each of conspiracy and bank theft.
The scheme began to unfold in 2007 and continued until September of last year, involving 21 men and seven women.