The Minneapolis City Attorney's office dismissed charges Friday against Jordan Kushner, a local attorney who was facing a trial for obstructing University of Minnesota police during a demonstration last fall.
City Attorney Susan Segal said that the misdemeanor charges were dismissed because she wanted to "allow my office to focus on higher priority matters."
She added, "the evidence supports the charges brought by the University of Minnesota police. There has been no change in our opinion of the facts."
Kushner, who has maintained he was innocent, responded Friday that if Segal believed what was in the police reports, "it would be irresponsible for her to drop the charges. She is being dishonest."
He said he believed she dismissed the case "because it was clear that the allegations in the police reports were false."
The case had been scheduled to go to trial in Hennepin District Court in July.
Kushner has frequently represented demonstrators in criminal cases as well as in lawsuits against the city, and has won settlements worth several hundred thousand dollars total.
He was arrested Nov. 3 on charges of obstructing a police officer and refusing to leave a University of Minnesota lecture hall where pro-Palestinian protesters attempted to shout down a pro-Israeli law professor from New York.