Minneapolis has already passed the $1 billion mark in construction permits this year, the fastest it has reached that milestone, the city said Friday.
It's the fifth straight year for the city to break the $1 billion ceiling. This year's activity has been driven by permits for a mix of large projects, the biggest of which was $135 million for the Hennepin County Medical Center's 377,000-square-foot Ambulatory Outpatient Specialty Center. That permit represents most of a project that is ultimately expected to have $160 million in construction costs and a total cost of $224.6 million.
"The really good news here is it's a robust mix," said Steve Poor, director of development services for the city. "It's just a remarkably robust development scene right now, and there's a lot of stuff in the pipeline."
Work on the second-most valuable project the city has permitted this year formally began this week: NordHaus, a $75 million, 20-story apartment building by Lennar Multifamily at 315 1st Av. NE.
The next three largest permits so far this year have been for the $50 million Veterans Home Building at 5101 Minnehaha Av., for $42 million of the eventual $129 million remodeling at Target Center downtown, and for the $36 million south Minneapolis Regional Service Center at 3029 22nd Av. S.
Several large projects could still pull building permits by the end of the year, such as the 374-unit Legacy condominium in the Mill District.
This year, Minneapolis passed the $1 billion mark on Aug. 8, a month earlier than last year.
In 2014, building permits surged to just more than $2 billion — the only year that has happened — with the big push coming from the U.S. Bank Stadium and the surrounding development of what's now being called East Town.