The international activist hacker group Anonymous Legion is claiming responsibility for an attack on the Minnesota Judicial Branch's website that rendered it unusable for most of Wednesday.
State officials became aware of the "distributed denial-of-service" (DDOS) attack about 8 a.m. Wednesday, around the same time Anonymous Legion e-mailed the Star Tribune.
"Servers have also been penetrated and data has been secured, contrary to what they will tell you," said Anonymous Legion's e-mail. "This will occur frequently."
The group said the act was executed "collectively, through a global attack." It is known for DDOS attacks on government websites, among others.
The attack is similar to ones that interrupted the site last December. Last year's attacks were traced to Asia and Canada. The state did not say Wednesday whether the attacks may be linked.
"We are in the process of communicating with the FBI Cyber Task Force about this incident," Beau Berentson, a spokesman for the state court administration office, said in a written statement.
The website (www.mncourts.gov), visited by thousands every day looking to access court resources and information, was taken offline as the attack was investigated.
Access to the site was restored around 5:15 p.m.