The Minnesota House late Friday unanimously approved a compromise bill that would overhaul state drug laws, prioritizing crackdowns on "kingpin" drug dealers and helping addicts seek treatment.
The Senate had given previous approval to the measure, voting 45-19. The measure now heads back to the Senate where it is expected to pass and then head to Gov. Mark Dayton. The governor has previously indicated he would sign the measure if stakeholders had a consensus.
Legislators had hotly debated the drug overhaul but many said they opposed changes recommended by the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelenes Commision that would have become law without legislative action.
"A number of us thought it went too far," said Rep. Tony Cornish, R-Vernon Center.
If the measure passes, it would be one of the most significant reforms to Minnesota's criminal justice system in about three decades, and accomplish something legislators and criminal justice experts have debated for years.
By diverting some into treatment, the measure would free up more than 600 prison beds over time, said Sen. Ron Latz, DFL-St. Louis Park, the bill's Senate sponsor. Latz has said he wants to take the money saved on imprisoning fewer people and put it toward drug treatment and other rehabilitative services.
Among the most dramatic changes in the proposal would be reducing the recommended prison sentence for first-degree sale and possession of heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine from seven years to slightly more than five years.
The proposal would raise the minimum weight to qualify for high-level charges for meth and cocaine. For instance, a first-degree sale would be redefined as 17 grams — up from the current 10 grams.