Like the MNsure exchange, private health insurers have extended the deadline for individuals and families to buy coverage that starts in January.
On Saturday, the state's health insurance exchange announced it was pushing back until Dec. 28 the deadline for enrollment in individual market coverage that starts Jan. 1.
Eagan-based Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota said Monday that it would push back its deadline to Dec. 28 for people who buy policies directly from the company, rather than through the government-run exchange.
Bloomington-based HealthPartners and Minnetonka-based Medica said they will take applications until Dec. 31.
Meanwhile, MNsure reported that more people are buying policies and calling the exchange with questions. On Monday, the exchange received more than 2,600 calls by noon, with 53 percent of them answered in under five minutes, said MNsure spokesman Shane Delaney in an e-mail.
"Enrollment activity is picking up," Delaney wrote. "Call volumes are increasing and, as a result, wait times are naturally increasing."
About 300,000 people were covered by policies last year in Minnesota's individual market, which covers people who don't get insurance from an employer or the government. About 80 percent of individual market enrollees at the time were buying in the off-exchange market, according to the Minnesota Department of Health.
MNsure's share of the overall individual market is low compared to the exchanges in most other states, but premium jumps for 2016 are expected to drive more shoppers to MNsure, since it's the only place to tap federal tax credits.