A group of convicted sex offenders has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of a far-reaching ordinance in Apple Valley that severely restricts where they can live, alleging that the ordinance effectively bars them from living anywhere in the city and violates the Constitution's ban on retroactive punishments.
In a federal class action lawsuit filed Wednesday, three sex offenders seek an injunction preventing the city of Apple Valley from enforcing the ordinance, which prohibits people convicted of certain sex offenses from living within 1,500 feet of schools, parks, playgrounds, churches and child-care centers. The ordinance, which the Apple Valley City Council approved in February 2017, is so extensive that more than 90% of the residential properties within the city's boundaries are off-limits to offenders, the lawsuit states.
In recent years, cities and counties across Minnesota have rushed to approve sex-offender residency restrictions, in part over concerns that the state is running out of places to house offenders. Approximately 90 localities across Minnesota, from Inver Grove Heights to Cloquet, have adopted such ordinances with varying degrees of residency restrictions, according to the Minnesota Department of Corrections (DOC). The ordinances have effectively made large swaths of the state off-limits to many offenders who have already served their prison terms.
Yet such ordinances have come under increased scrutiny from the courts and attorneys representing sex offenders, who argue that the measures violate civil rights and also impede efforts by the state to integrate offenders back into society.
Attorneys for the three offenders argue that the Apple Valley ordinance violates the Constitution's ex post facto clause, which prohibits the government from creating laws that retroactively increase punishment for crimes that have already been committed.
"The government cannot go back and change the consequences of a previously committed crime," said Adele Nicholas, an attorney in Chicago who represents the offenders. "This law is so burdensome and makes it so difficult to find a place to live that it actually amounts to a punishment — and a punishment that was not in place at the time of our clients' criminal cases."
Apple Valley Mayor Mary Hamann-Roland and the city administrator, Tom Lawell, declined to comment on the lawsuit, saying the city had not been served with the complaint.
The three sex offenders are not identified by name in the lawsuit. They include a 32-year-old man from Bloomington who was found guilty as a juvenile for a criminal sexual assault against another minor. Last year, the man rented an apartment in Apple Valley because it was close to his work and near his family and friends. After moving into the apartment, however, the man went to register with the Apple Valley Police Department, where he was told that he would be arrested for violating the ordinance if he did not move out of the apartment. The man has since moved to Bloomington, the lawsuit says.