Mixed Blood Theatre has filed a nearly $350,000 claim on Prince's estate, submitted days before the Sept. 12 deadline for those seeking a piece of the late musician's multimillion dollar fortune.
The Minneapolis theater is trying to recoup expenses related to its 40th anniversary gala, which was planned for May 14 at Prince's Paisley Park complex and canceled just over a week in advance by Bremer Trust, the special administrator overseeing the estate.
"This was the biggest thing we'd ever planned, and a great number of people had spent a year planning it," said the theater's artistic director, Jack Reuler.
Prince died April 21 of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, but Paisley staffers assured Mixed Blood that the event would go on. Then, after theater staff were notified of the cancellation, Reuler said, attorneys for Bremer and the trust's president "assured us that we would be made whole," he said. The filing of a formal claim is an effort to ensure that ongoing negotiations to recover costs associated with the gala will be recognized by the courts.
"Ever since May, we've been dealing with Bremer Trust. We went to mediation with a judge," Reuler said. "We didn't come to a number that both sides agreed to, so the process continues … and we will come to a natural conclusion."
Mixed Blood said its claim for $348,358 was based on galas and fundraisers undertaken by similar organizations, items that had been collected for silent and live auctions, tickets and sponsorships that had to be refunded, games, a photo booth and other items.
The theater has laid off staff since the gala was canceled, though the number of people is unclear.
"There was more staff May 5 when we canceled the event than we had on Aug. 5," Reuler said.