MNsure's fast enrollment pace continues, as shoppers apparently are focused on the chance that most health plan options could disappear vs. questions about the federal health law's future.
Since open enrollment in the state's individual market began on Nov. 1, nearly 24,000 people have signed up for private health plans through MNsure. That compares with fewer than 7,000 sign-ups at this time last year.
Shoppers have been scrambling because of enrollment caps that regulators granted most insurers as an emergency measure to help them prevent further financial losses.
The state launched MNsure three years ago as part of the federal Affordable Care Act, and the big enrollment numbers come despite questions about the future of the health law given electoral triumphs by Republicans.
"We have heard from assisters just anecdotally across the state that consumers are canceling their appointments because there is so much uncertainty out there right now about the Affordable Care Act," said Allison O'Toole, the MNsure chief executive, during a board meeting Wednesday in St. Paul. "My message to them is: Don't give up."
The MNsure exchange is an option for the roughly 250,000 state residents who buy health insurance on their own. The market serves about 5 percent of state residents and has experienced troubles that aren't being seen in the much-larger markets for employer-sponsored health plans and government programs like Medicare.
With 23,883 people signing up via MNsure for private coverage as of Nov. 13, the exchange is more than one-fourth of the way to its budget target of 83,000 enrollees at the beginning of next year.
About 38 percent of shoppers this year are in the age 55-to-64 bracket, up from about 33 percent last year. The numbers could suggest a lack of young and healthy enrollees in the market, but O'Toole said it's too early to draw conclusions.