More human remains have been found at a Duluth road construction site, a week after work was stopped and a day after state transportation officials apologized for desecrating Indian graves.
Jim Jones, cultural resource director for the Minnesota Indian Affairs Council, said investigators were called to the site Friday to examine the remains after they were spotted by someone walking through the area late Thursday night.
But Jones said it was unclear whether they were Indian remains.
"We can't say for sure," he said.
Work was halted last month on about a half-block portion of the Hwy. 23 construction project after members of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa told state officials the area had a "high potential" of being an Indian burial site.
On June 6, remains were found in another part of the project, prompting state officials to stop all work.
Transportation officials said that, as with most of their projects, a historian should have evaluated the site before work started.
"We don't have a handle on how this all fell through the cracks," said Roberta Dwyer, project manager for the Minnesota Department of Transportation.