A Minnesota Islamic leader called Tuesday for heightened protection of Muslim students statewide after a threat was reported toward a Washington County grade school student.
Sheriff Bill Hutton said the incident was under investigation but that there had been no indication so far that a hate crime was committed.
The incident, which reportedly occurred last week, was among several recent episodes in the metro area that were being looked into by the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MN).
Parents of a Muslim student at Afton-Lakeland Elementary School told CAIR-MN that on Nov. 11, an older boy at the school threatened to shoot the Muslim student, a third-grader. On Nov. 14, the same boy reportedly brought what Hutton described as a replica firearm on board a school bus.
The driver confiscated the weapon and called authorities, averting a "major tragedy," Executive Director Jaylani Hussein said Tuesday.
"We are asking all school districts across the state to step up protection for Muslim and other minority students in the wake of this incident and because of the wave of racist and anti-Muslim incidents nationwide following the Nov. 8 election," he said.
Hussein said Tuesday that he wouldn't "rule out at this point whether it's a hate crime." He said he provided the sheriff with other details suggesting the Muslim boy was targeted because of his religion.
Hutton said he talked with Hussein on Tuesday.