Hundreds of people of all races and backgrounds congregated Friday evening near police headquarters in north Minneapolis for an emotional rally and candlelight vigil that culminated a week of protests over officers' fatal shooting of an unarmed black man.
The president of the national NAACP, who met with state and city leaders earlier in the day at Gov. Mark Dayton's residence in St. Paul, was among those speaking at the peaceful rally, which many participants called the most significant and inspiring local civil rights gathering in years.
"We are not here to tell you what to do," Cornell Brooks, head of the national NAACP, told the emotional crowd. "I believe in what's happening in Minneapolis."
The death of Jamar Clark, 24, shot in the head during a scuffle Sunday on the city's North Side, has galvanized Minnesota activists — from North Side residents to Black Lives Matter activists to the NAACP — and garnered national attention. As protesters have camped outside Fourth Precinct headquarters on Plymouth Avenue N. and engaged in sometimes tense confrontations with officers, police and civic leaders have pleaded for time to thoroughly investigate the shooting, which is also being examined by federal officials and the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA).
Police have said that Clark lunged for an officer's gun and interfered with officers and paramedics responding to a domestic dispute in which a woman had been injured. The officers involved in Clark's death, Mark Ringgenberg, 30, and Dustin Schwarze, 28, are on paid leave.
After the rally, the group marched to the spot a few blocks away where Clark was shot. There, Nekima Levy-Pounds, the Minneapolis NAACP chapter president, said "it could have been any one of us who died."
"This isn't about demonizing the Police Department," she said. "But we are going to get the truth one way or another."
Civil rights activists present
City Council Member Blong Yang, whose district includes the North Side, and his wife attended the rally. Protesters have called for Yang to join some fellow council members in pushing the city to quickly release tapes of the shooting. He said Friday that he doesn't have the authority to make such a demand. "Legally speaking, we have no control over the tapes at this point," he said.