MINNEAPOLIS — Documents that the federal Environmental Protection Agency tried to keep confidential show that its staffers criticized how Minnesota regulators drafted a key permit for the planned PolyMet copper-nickel mine, and concluded that the permit would violate federal law because it lacked pollution limits based on the state's water quality standards.
The EPA released the documents Wednesday after a court challenge by WaterLegacy, which had been seeking them for more than a year, and in response to a request from U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum of Minnesota, who chairs a committee that oversees the EPA. Environmentalists said Thursday that the EPA's concerns should have been reflected in the final permit but weren't.
"Minnesota's public finally knows the truth about the EPA's serious criticism of PolyMet's water permit," said Paula Maccabee, an attorney for WaterLegacy, which sued after its attempts to obtain the documents under the Freedom of Information Act were rebuffed.
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency issued PolyMet's water pollution permit last December. It was the last major state permit the company needed for its planned mine near Babbitt and processing plant near Hoyt Lakes. PolyMet, whose largest investor is Swiss commodities giant Glencore AG, won its final federal permit in March and is now raising nearly $1 billion for construction financing.
A handwritten note on one EPA document shows that regional staffers read it over the phone to MPCA staff in April 2018.
"The draft permit does not include water quality based effluent limitations ... that are as stringent as necessary to ensure compliance with the applicable water quality requirements," the document read. It also said permit "appears to authorize" discharges that would exceed the state's federally approved water quality standards for mercury, copper, arsenic, cadmium and zinc.
But the federal agency never filed formal written comments expressing those concerns as part of the public comment process. Maccabee said that would have required the state agency to formally and publicly respond to them. She said she's still trying to get to the bottom of that decision.
Maccabee also pointed out that MPCA staffers who were on the call with the EPA discarded their handwritten notes afterward, according to the stage agency's own filings Wednesday in a consolidated lawsuit by WaterLegacy and other groups challenging the permit, which is before the Minnesota Court of Appeals.