Any change to spice up the NHL All-Star Game is probably a good thing, and that was the initial opinion by most inside the hockey world Wednesday when the league made it official by announcing that January's showcase in Nashville will be a 3-on-3 tournament.
The new format will consist of three 20-minute games played by divisional All-Star teams. The Central Division will face the Pacific Division, the Metropolitan Division will face the Atlantic, and the two winners will play for a championship and $1 million winner-take-all incentive to, you know, actually try.
"It should be exciting for fans to watch," said defenseman Ryan Suter, who represented the Wild in last year's All-Star Game in Columbus. "I think the game just got stale. It's tough to create an actual hockey game."
The only criticism by many is the divisional format. Each team will be composed of 11 players (six forwards, three defensemen and two goalies) for a total of 44 players. All 30 teams must have one representative, so just do the math.
There are 16 teams in the East, eight per division, meaning that alone is eight of each team's 11 players. That will mean an astronomical amount of snubs.
"I think it's really good the idea of the 3-on-3 tournament, but I don't know about the divisions," said goalie Devan Dubnyk, who could actually be the Wild All-Star favorite by process of elimination. "I think it's a good idea to create a tournament environment, but the idea of the All-Star Game is to have the best players at it.
"A perfect argument is the stacked Central Division. I mean, there's going to be no way not to shake your head at who doesn't make the team."
He's not kidding.