The Ramsey County sheriff's deputy who fatally shot a Twin Cities man last year after a struggle inside an RV will not face criminal charges.
The Ramsey County Attorney's Office announced Thursday that it would not pursue charges against deputy Andre Rongitsch or the three other officers who were present when he shot Darren Jahnke.
"I guess I had prayed that it would be different, but I know the history of these types of cases," said Jahnke's sister, Jenny Vance. "I guess I wasn't extremely shocked [with the decision], but I was very disappointed."
An e-mail written by Ramsey County Attorney John Choi to his staff said that Jahnke had put a deputy's life in danger.
"Deputy Lisa Daly was fighting for her life after she was tackled to the ground by Darren Jahnke," said the e-mail. "Based upon his training and the situation at hand, Deputy Andre Rongitsch had no other course of action other than to fire his weapon, which he did as a last resort to stop the immediate threat that was posed to Deputy Daly."
Jahnke, 47, was shot April 16 inside an RV parked in the 3200 block of Fanum Road in Vadnais Heights. He died from a single gunshot to the back of the head.
A memo written by First Assistant Ramsey County Attorney John Kelly and Rick Dustherhoft, the office's adult criminal division director, said that deputies were investigating a sexual assault reported on April 13 when they encountered Jahnke sitting in the driver's seat of an RV. The assault had occurred in a similar RV at a different location in nearby Little Canada.
According to the memo: Jahnke, who had a warrant out for his arrest for probation violation, declined to identify himself during 22 minutes of questioning.