A transgender student claimed this week to have been barred from using the girls' restroom at Osseo Senior High School "because I'm transgender."
The allegation came in dramatic fashion — accompanied by a video taken by the student Wednesday of the door to a bathroom stall being forced open while the student was inside.
"I'm posting this," the student says in the video as the incident unfolds. "I am so scared and violated right now."
On Thursday, the district said there was no bathroom ban and that the posting being circulated widely on social media misrepresented what occurred.
"People think the student was barred from using the bathroom. That is not true," said Barbara Olson, a spokeswoman for Osseo Area Schools.
But the district was silent as to why the door was forced open.
Olson and Michael Lehan, the school's principal, said they wished they could say more about what had happened — Lehan made his point clear in a written message to families — but added they were prohibited from doing so by the state's data practices law.
As of Thursday afternoon, a retweet of the one-minute video had been viewed more than 160,000 times on Twitter.