Todd Seehus' 13-year-old son died by suicide in February 2015 after kids called him "freak" and shoved him into lockers at Lincoln Park Middle School in Duluth, a federal lawsuit alleges. Now, Seehus is suing the Duluth School District for failing to curb the bullying that he says prompted his son's death.
The suit filed Friday in U.S. District Court says the district, the school board, and former and current administrators at Lincoln Park Middle School didn't address the bullying of his son, Tristan Seehus. The district's lack of response amounted to discrimination against Tristan because of his perceived sexual orientation or gender expression, according to the suit.
"Tristan's suicide was a foreseeable result of Defendants' failure to provide him a safe educational environment," the lawsuit said.
School district officials said in an e-mailed statement Tuesday that they have policies that are in step with Minnesota's Safe and Supportive Schools Act and federal harassment laws.
"While we can't comment specifically on the litigation, it's important to know that our schools endeavor to create an environment where all students are treated with respect and to validate the rights of all students to a safe and welcoming environment," the statement said.
Tristan Seehus attended Lincoln Park Middle School from September 2012 until his suicide last year. During that time, he was bullied by students because of that perceived sexual orientation, the suit said.
According to the suit, Tristan didn't identify as gay, but didn't "conform to traditional stereotypes of masculinity." Other students perceived him to be gay.
The district ignored and diminished the abuse, the complaint said, and didn't adequately carry out policies that ban harassment related to sexual orientation, whether actual or perceived.