Advocates calling for stricter firearms laws marked Thursday's anniversary of the Parkland, Fla., high school shooting by reading off the names of Minnesotans killed by gun violence, an issue Gov. Tim Walz said would be also be addressed in his upcoming budget proposal.
The ceremony came amid a renewed push to expand background checks for gun sales and introduce a "red flag" law that would let relatives or law enforcement petition judges to take firearms away from people deemed a threat to themselves or others.
"These are not extreme or experimental measures," said the Rev. Nancy Nord Bence, executive director of the nonprofit Protect Minnesota, which organized Thursday's rally.
Bence noted the bipartisan support for legislation to address distracted driving and opioid abuse this session, while highlighting that more Minnesotans died from gun violence than from car crashes or overdoses last year: "We will not get all the names read in two hours even if we read straight through."
Any new gun restrictions face formidable opposition at the Capitol.
Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, R-Nisswa, recently told supporters of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus that he would work to prevent any new gun laws from passing this session, and Republicans gained another seat to create a 35-32 advantage upon Jason Rarick's special election victory this month.
"I will do everything in my power to stop that," Gazelka said recently of new gun restrictions.
The Feb. 14, 2018, slayings of 17 students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School galvanized a national gun control movement led by students. Minnesota Democrats want to cement the issue in the party platform. Democrats won control of the state House on the strength of strong performances in the suburbs last year, with many newcomers pledging to push stricter gun measures.