Banks and credit unions pushing to be fully reimbursed for losses suffered as a result of Target Corp.'s data breach have thwarted a proposed $19 million settlement that some claim would only cover "pennies on the dollar."
Last month, Target and MasterCard announced the tentative out-of-court settlement to begin paying banks for the millions of dollars they spent to reissue new cards and to cover fraud-related charges following the breach. But it was contingent on 90 percent of the eligible MasterCard accounts signing off on the offer by Wednesday. Both parties confirmed on Friday that threshold was not met, voiding the pact.
The setback for Target and MasterCard was met with cheers by the lead plaintiffs' attorneys in a federal lawsuit against Target brought by smaller banks who have denounced the proposed settlement as too little relief. They have called the settlement "laughable" and slammed it for going around the courts. Their lawsuit, which is planning to seek class-action status later this year, is making its way through U.S. District Court in St. Paul and is expected to go to trial in March 2016.
"We are pleased that financial institutions have resoundingly rejected Target and MasterCard's attempt to avoid fully reimbursing the losses suffered during one of the largest data breaches in U.S. history," Minneapolis attorneys Charles Zimmerman and Karl Cambronne said in a joint statement. "Financial institutions clearly saw through Target's misleading statements and efforts to extinguish pending legal claims for pennies on the dollar."
Others applauded the settlement's demise, including a trade association representing credit unions.
"The failure to opt in to the settlement by financial institutions sends a strong signal to card companies that the current reimbursement system does not work and financial institutions need to be made whole," Carrie Hunt, a senior vice president of the National Association of Federal Credit Unions, said in a statement.
But MasterCard does not appear to be finished.
"At this stage we will continue to work to resolve the matter," MasterCard said in a statement without elaborating on what further action it might take.